14 new people know a little more about CD. Last night during my Strategies class, our teacher had us do a little group activity. She wanted us to get to know each other just a little bit better. We were to pick someone in the class and find out from them 5 things that they felt changed their lives. For either the better or the worse. Here are my five in chronological order:
1. Being diagnosed when I was 8 with Diabetes
2. My mom and dad divorcing and my brother leaving for the Navy when i was 9
3. My best friend passing away in a car accident...I miss you Alan!
4. The birth of both of my children
5. Being diagnosed with CD.
My friend Deb then asked what CD was exactly, so took a few minutes to explain a little about it. It was nice to be the educator and it seemed that many of them were paying attention from the reaction of the stuff I couldn't have. We continued on with class and after my second break we had the option to leave or stay and work on our assignments. I elected to stay, however I didn't have a chance to work on my assignment. My teacher sat next to me and asked me what it was that I usually ate. I spent nearly an hour talking with her about my symptoms, how my life was before finding out about my CD, what foods I can and can't have, contamination, and the statistics that many of us tell people. It felt good being asked about my life with CD. I have never been so open about my problems as I am now, mostly because now I know what the cause was. It's hard to explain to people without embarrassment that I had chronic diarrhea, always felt sick, was always in pain, yet not know why it was happening to me. But now there are 14 more people who know about or more about CD and who knows who those people may tell about it. It was one of the best feelings in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment