Friday, October 15, 2010

Bring on the FRIES...or not

Day three =)  Okay, yeah at some point I will stop counting the days and start counting months.  Anyway, today was pretty good.  Had some of my favorite Smokehouse Nut-Thins from Blue Diamond for breakfast and some apple juice.  Went to the Y to do some biking and weight lifting.  While there I read my book about Celiac, which was very informative.  Mom and I decided to go to lunch after a few errands.  Ok, so my first test of eating out and trying to manage around the outnumbering amounts of products containing Gluten compared to CF foods.  We decided to go to Arby's.  Before we decided I did a little research on the net whether their home-style fries are GF or not.  They are as long as they are cooked in separate oils than their breaded items.  Yay! (though I know I am going to want to grab a Curly Fry from my mom at some point but will have to resist the temptation!)  We go into Arby's and mom orders her food while I am sitting at the table reading their Nutrition Guide (which I am grabbing from every fast food joint in town).  She comes back and they don't even sell home-style fries at that location!!  WHAT?!?!  Are you kidding me??  I had gotten my hopes up because though I am not much of a fry person, I knew that fries would not have to be worked around.  So reading the list of GF foods I found that their buttermilk ranch *not much of a ranch person either* dressing was GF.  So I settled for a Turkey & Bacon Salad and a Jr. Roast Beef without the bun, and a piece of lettuce leaf.  Well they only had shredded lettuce.  Never-mind.  Okay just the JRB without the bun.  I pay for it, watch them get the salad and then see them putting my beef on a bun.  UM NO!  I told the guy no bun and please get new meat, I dont know how sensitive I am to gluten and don't want to take ANY chances.  So I get my food, sit at the table, stack the beef, put some of the lettuce from my salad on the beef, with some bacon and a few tomatoes.  Then put on some horsey sauce (yes the horsey sauce is GF...awesome!).  Wrapped it up and via la!  A lettuce wrapped roast beef meal. (Lets just say it was a good thing I ate some Rice pasta at home before we went because there was not much of a portion to it all).  After that fiasco, I had to run to the college that I will be attending in Dec.  On the way I was still craving some fries, so went to burger king where I know they have GF fries (I had already asked them) and also asked if they use Heinz Ketchup since it is also GF.  (Sorry this post is such a ramble...lol)  On the way back from my errand I craved some Enjoy Life snicker doodle cookies =)  (which I HIGHLY recommend) So off to HyVee's Health Market to get some, along with more Nut-Thins and even a small package of Enjoy Life chocolate Chip Cookies which i have not tried yet.  So time went by and supper came where the boys had Pops for supper (I'm big on breakfast for supper...lol) and again, I wanted to just grab a couple of pieces, it wouldn't do any harm right?  WRONG!  even just a little bit of Gluten can mess everything I am trying to work for up, so I resist.  Once they ate I grabbed some brown rice, stuck it on the stove, and when it was finished, heated up a can of Amy's Organic Cream of Tomato soup, and cut up a few pieces of turkey lunch meat.  Threw it all together and OMG it was just like what I used to make with Campbell soup (which contains gluten).  Actually, it is so much better than Campbell soup.  So I have survived yet another day of tests and triumphs =)  My big test will be tomorrow.  I am going to the Nebraska vs Texas football game in Lincoln Ne.  I know that there will be nothing *but maybe a milky way or Hershey bar*  So tonight I am bagging up some single serving snacks to take with me, and a firm, yes I am taking them in because I have Celiac and you are NOT Celiac friendly.  Now I am off, good night =)

No comments:

Post a Comment