One of my favorite times of year =) Though this year is obviously different. I can't sneak candy out of my kid's bags...lol. I don't think it will be that hard for me however, my kids have gotten into that..."mom you can't have that" routine. It's like a knife in the heart, but I know they mean well and want me healthy. I had an idea, but didn't work out to go as a piece of wheat stalk for Halloween...haha people would have given me very confusing looks. It would have been great, maybe next year though.
So I tried a new breakfast this morning. I got the recipe from the book in my recommended books post "The First Year: Celiac Disease and Living Gluten-Free" Its the Tropical Rice
1 c Crushed Pineapple
1/2 c Pineapple Juice (from Crushed Pineapple)
3/4 c Brown Rice
1/4 c Chopped or Slivered Raw Almonds
1/2 tsp Salt (I use Sea Salt)
1/2 c Dried Raisins or Cranberries
1. In a stove-top pan mix all ingredients except dried fruit.
2. Bring to a boil, stir, and quickly reduce heat to a simmer. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook till rice is soft, about 20-25 minutes.
3. Remove from heat as soon as the rice is cooked and stir in dried fruit
4. Let stand for 5 minutes
5. Serve warm, adding in milk or extra pineapple as desired or more juice to thin it out for a nice breakfast cereal.
That is the original recipe, however with the brown rice I use, it takes 45 minutes to cook, I also added a bit of water and some pineapple/orange juice to it to cook in. And I used raisins. It was amazing! =) There are several great recipes in that book, again I highly recommend it for someone just starting out with Celiac, or for the Seasoned GF dieter.
No comments:
Post a Comment