I started my Gluten Free journey Oct.13, 2010. I have needed to start a GF diet due to Celiac for 10 months now, but was scared because of the notion that all foods GF would taste like Cardboard. Boy was I wrong. Now I am blogging my experiences with GF foods. So follow me down this lifelong journey. Please read "The first day of the rest of my life" and "Recommended Books" Both Posted Oct. 13, 2010.
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
In my kitchen I spy...
Spices! Spices, spices, spices as far as the eye can see...or at least as much as my spice rack can hold and then some =) I have found most GF food to be bland, there are great tastes but just bland at the same time. Even before GF i had a love for garlic and onion. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and well with my compromised immune system garlic helped. It didn't matter what I was browning hamburger for I put garlic powder (not salt, NEVER garlic salt), onion powder, and black pepper while browning. All pastas had a seasoning mix with some butter, chives for potatoes, parsley for tomato soup. I now have even more spices lining up my racks, with more to get. Gee this GF thing is going to make a cook out of me yet =) At least my old man thinks so anyway ;) He is very happy with the fact that I am nearly forced to cook on the stove and oven rather than dig in the freezer for some frozen pizza or TV dinners. I now have baking powder, which was a rarity in my home, along with the necessary starches and flours to try and experiment with my own GF flour mix. The more I read my book, the better understanding i have about food, and to be honest, a better respect for organic and what foods are entering my system. Who knew that a disease would change my outlook on food? It goes to show that Celiac is yet again a hidden blessing, for both me, and my man ;)
Labels:
celiac disease,
diet,
gluten free,
organic,
spices
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment