And everything that I have learned is nowhere near enough! There is so much to learn when eating GF, and you realize that you really don't know anything. Though yest I have learned a lot in the month that I have been GF, it seems that I have learned more this month than I did the entire time in school, I still have more to learn. I'm sure it gets easier, and you feel like an expert as the days, months, and years go by, but this is what I have learned in this past month.
1) GF is not cardboard as I previously had thought. There are so many different options available, you just need to go by trial and error to find what you do or don't like. Ask stores about guarantee's and return policies. Whole foods has a great if you don't like it you get your money back guarantee. And to save money only get one of what you haven't tried. Just in case you don't like it.
2) GF is hard work, but the work pays off. Its a struggle making sure that you are eating completely GF. Down to cooking, counters, and washing your hands frequently when making non GF food for others in the family. Even down to mentally reminding yourself constantly to not take a bite of the kids' cereal, or not to place your GF spoon where there has been gluten contamination. And all the things you need to remember while out and about and cross contamination, which brings me to...
3) Eating out while being GF is possible. Though not as cost effective, which GF never is, it turns into a hidden blessing. Dining out at places that already have a GF menu is great. Check their website for the most current list, as places change ingredients and menu items often. Call ahead and speak to a manager and inform them of your needs. Invest in a Dining Out Card ( I got mine at Cecilias Marketplace) to give the waiter to give the cook. Try to avoid the rush periods, those times are much harder for the staff to ensure your food is cooked properly. Also, TIP WELL! Having Celiac and dining out makes it like you are a VIP in the place you are eating. You can almost guarantee that your food is getting more attention than everyone else there.
4) Don't get discouraged if you are still having symptoms. Depending on how long you have had it before being diagnosed with CD, it may take your body time to heal. Also, there are so many ingredients that you need to avoid you may not realize that what you are eating is a hidden gluten. Call companies and invest in the GF shopping guide that is also found at Cecilias marketplace. Plan ahead for your meals for the week or a few days and shop accordingly, also carry snacks with you in case you are somewhere where cross contamination is likely or there are no snacks that are GF as an option.
5) Seek a local support group, like the Celiac Sprue Association or any local group at your foodmarket. Support is a must with a GF diet to keep you on track or to vent or get answers if needed. Find the CSA on Facebook or any other GF message board. Inform people of CD without preaching about it, get the awareness out.
6) Learn to be creative. Making meals and substitution will always occur without a GF cookbook. If you don't like the way a recipe tastes, try modifying the starches and flours used.
These are the things I have learned in the past month, and there is still more to learn. It is a blessing that I don't have to take any more meds, in fact I take less insulin for my diabetes, with lower blood sugars than ever before since being GF. Along with less pain from my fibromyalgia, and less time spent worrying where a restroom was. I have gained play time with my children, time out with my boyfriend, and overall happier and healthier.
No comments:
Post a Comment