I started my Gluten Free journey Oct.13, 2010. I have needed to start a GF diet due to Celiac for 10 months now, but was scared because of the notion that all foods GF would taste like Cardboard. Boy was I wrong. Now I am blogging my experiences with GF foods. So follow me down this lifelong journey. Please read "The first day of the rest of my life" and "Recommended Books" Both Posted Oct. 13, 2010.
Friday, November 26, 2010
I will, and have survived!
Thanksgiving. It was tough, looking at the stuffing and contaminated jellied cranberries sitting on my mother in law's gluten overloaded counters. I got up this morning, okay a bit later than i wanted, and prepared my jr boneless ham. Poured in some pineapple juice on the bottom and a few sliced pineapple too. Set the ham on those and then baked it for 20 mins. Then i took it out, put some pineapple slices on the ham with toothpicks and basted the ham with some pineapple and brown sugar. then baked it another 10 mins. I made some GF rolls, which really weren't that good, cuz i'm not a parmesean cheese fan. But i ate them anyway, and then grabbed some ready to serve brown and wild rice. It was good, I didn't have time this morning to make any stuffing so skipped out on it. So I survived without any mishap. My next challenge comes this weekend when I take my first trip with Celiac. I already called the hotel to find out if there is a microwave available at all times (since i am a midnight muncher) and made sure there was a fridge in the room. I bought a hot pot, small strainer, and lots of GF foods. Where I am going is really small and don't know what their little mom and pop grocery store carries, though I think i will venture in and just see what my options are when we are there. I think I will be okay, since every day that goes by it gets a bit easier. Though there are times where it is still hard and have to catch myself. Like when making food for my family, and if i get some food on my fingers i usually just lick it off, and have to stop myself now. But it's okay, i am not ashamed of my disease, i am grateful for it. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Labels:
celiac disease,
diet,
gluten free,
pineapple,
rice,
thanksgiving
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment