I started my Gluten Free journey Oct.13, 2010. I have needed to start a GF diet due to Celiac for 10 months now, but was scared because of the notion that all foods GF would taste like Cardboard. Boy was I wrong. Now I am blogging my experiences with GF foods. So follow me down this lifelong journey. Please read "The first day of the rest of my life" and "Recommended Books" Both Posted Oct. 13, 2010.
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
The First Day of the Rest of My Life
First off, just a bit about me. My name is Jenn and I am a 27yo Diabetic-Celiac mother of 2 beautiful boys. I have been a diabetic for nearly 20 years, and then on Dec. 30, 2009 I was diagnosed with Celiac. I know...Celi-what? Celiac is an Autoimmune disorder where the body inappropriately absorbs and attacks the food protein Gliadin that is found in gluten (found in wheat, barely, and rye grains) which causes serious damage to the upper intestinal tract of a person afflicted by the disease. When I was diagnosed, I was in denail. I already was supposed to watch what I ate (though I do, I do it my own way, not by watching my sugars, but watching my carb intake instead, that way I could drink my Mt. Dew, while still following a somewhat diet to control my blood sugars) I have recently started to work with a wellness consultant at the YMCA to try and gain some weight (I am currently only 85lbs) and gain some muscle. After my visit with her, I decided to stop kidding myself, and take charge of my life, and my body. So starting Oct. 13 I have gone completely Gluten Free (from here on GF). I did alright on my first day GF, until I started making pancakes for my kids. Pancakes are my serious weakness along with stuffing and garden rotini, which all contain gluten. I had to seriously think and fight the urge to even take a small piece and just toss it in my mouth. But I managed to do it. I already feel better, my stomach doesn't ache as much, and I slept through the night for the first time in years. I am writing this blog as a documentation of my journey for myself and others who may be on a GF diet of their own.
Labels:
celiac disease,
diet,
gluten free
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment