I started my Gluten Free journey Oct.13, 2010. I have needed to start a GF diet due to Celiac for 10 months now, but was scared because of the notion that all foods GF would taste like Cardboard. Boy was I wrong. Now I am blogging my experiences with GF foods. So follow me down this lifelong journey. Please read "The first day of the rest of my life" and "Recommended Books" Both Posted Oct. 13, 2010.
Saturday, October 23, 2010
A hidden blessing
So I have been 10 days GF today. Really? 10 days? Yep, though it doesn't feel like it. And there's a few reasons why it doesn't seem that long. Before, I used to sleep....a lot, never got out of the house due to having to plan my driving routes based on where there were more gas stations and looking for where the restroom was in every building I was in. Now, its not near as bad. I can enjoy doing things with my family without having to keep an eye on how far away the bathroom was, or if there even was one around for the past 4 years. Being underweight I had no energy and i hate the looks i get from people, and just imagining what is going through their heads about why I look the way I do. But now, I feel like I look better already even though I have only gained 10 pounds, but that is a huge amount for me. The last time I was over 100 pounds was 6 1/2 years ago. Even though following a GF diet, and taking all the necessary precautions to eliminate cross contamination is a pain in the backside, it is a hidden blessing since it is ALL diet controled, and that no medications are needed. Of all the diseases that this COULD have been, I'm glad that it was celiac.
Labels:
celiac disease,
diet,
gluten free
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Jenn,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Lisa. My son has Celiac, I think he probably have this since he was born. But we did not find out until he was in 6th grade. (after Christmas). It was hard for him at the beginning the idea of not eating like the other kids. But, now that he is a senior in HS. He is able to read labels and for the most part identify what he should and should not eat. He won’t try anything that he does not know the ingredients. He feels the difference as you said on energy level and stomach pain.
Keep up the good work and you will see how great life is after changing the diet. It is hard, but you will gain so much health wise.
Wish you the best and I will most definitely keep reading your blogs.
Good job and thanks for sharing.
Lisa
@ Lisa aka Rawleigh... Thank you for the support. Kudos to your son, I know how difficult it is for me as an adult to follow a GF diet, I could not imagine having to do it as a kid!
ReplyDelete